For a few days the highhandedness, brutality and extrajudicial execution perpetrated by the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) have been the topic of debate amongst Nigerians at home and abroad. We are appalled by the stories told by victims, friends and family members of victims who have recounted experiences of extortion, torture, murder and disappearance of friends and loved ones.
1. To this end, we will be holding a series of peaceful protests around the country on Monday, December 11, 2017, at locations in several cities to call for the immediate dissolution of SARS as a police unit.
2. These stories, many supported with pictures and videos, told by thousands of Nigerians about their suffering in the hands of men of the unit show that indeed the unit has outlived its uselessness and has become a menace to the Nigerian society.
3. It is important to state that our protests and the calls for the dissolution of SARS will be situated within the context of the calls for the reform of the Nigerian Police Force. Whilst calling for the scrapping of the unit, we are also calling for greater funding of the police, better training, the provision of better equipment and living quarters, the provision of insurance, the establishment of a stricter code of conduct, the public prosecution and discipline of itinerant police officers, and such other connected matters.
4. Locations around the country where the protests will hold include:
Abuja – Unity Fountain
Lagos – Gani-Fawehinmi Park, Ojota
Warri – Enerhen Junction
Jos – Polo Terminus
Port Harcourt – Garrison Junction
Kaduna – Muritala Square
Ibadan – Mokola Junction
Awka – Wetheral/Okigwe Road Roundabout
#EndSARS Campaign: Simi, Adekunle Gold, Reekado Banks Share Bitter Stories Of Their Encounter With SARS
5. We invite members of the media as well as all Nigerians to join us as we pursue the lofty ideals of a safer, more secure and better policed country for all Nigerians.
God bless Nigeria.